Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Day 2 in Maryland...still a bit of a doozie

November 27, 2012

Well, today was just a tiny bit better than yesterday. I woke up still very emotional about everything but managed to go about my day. I went to check out another apartment this morning and then met with HR to finalize all my paper work. I officially signed my contract with Prince George's County this afternoon around 4:00 PM. It was exciting but still kind of scary. I was told that tomorrow was going to be my first day but then found out today that I can't start until after the retirement of the gentleman leaving because they can't pay two people for the same position - which upset me because that meant I didn't need to come down until this coming weekend and could have potentially subbed all week. Then we spoke with the principal and she said she wanted to put me in as a sub for two days so I can get paid for being there. So instead of starting tomorrow and not getting paid for it, I will start on Thursday and Friday and will be paid as a sub for those two days. I officially start full time on December 3, 2012.... 3 days before I turn the big 2-7. Better than nothing I guess.

I tried to familiarize myself with the areas that I may potentially be living and working in - you know, trying to find your way around. I am really going to need to invest in a Garmin...using GPS on your cell phone really takes a hit on the battery. I'm still having a hard time talking to most people on the phone about everything going on because I still haven't gotten settled in. My mattress is in place and some of my stuff is unpacked but that's not officially being settled in. Once I have accepted the change that I am experiencing and can finally embrace it all, then I will be settled in. Talking to my Padre is still very hard because every time we go to hang up, I can hear in his voice that it seems like his whole world has crashed down around him. I think I'm the glue that holds our family together and now the glue has been pulled away from the project. But we're helping each other to get through it.

Just a couple hours ago, I got a phone call from one of my very best friends and when I answered it and said "Hello?" I heard this teeny tiny voice go, "Hi Shadon!" I said, "Hi little Lanster! How are you?" and she said, "good" and then we chatted for a while. She told me they were in the car going home. I asked her where they were coming from and she said, "going home." Then I said, "did you guys just have dinner?" and she said, "yeah." I said, "What did you have - wait, let me guess" and she said, "fench fies and chicken!" and I said "I knew it!" -- it was the CUTEST thing ever. Then Maria got on the phone and said Laney asked where I was (since I usually spend every night with them). Maria asked her if she wanted to call me and she said yeah. So as mentioned, it was really cute.

On a little better note, I did find out what I will be making and it's about $5,000 MORE than I had originally thought. So naturally, that made me feel a little better today as well, especially with the cost of living down here! The apartment I'm looking at runs $1500 a month (utilities not included). So hopefully things start to fall into place. I still feel a little empty inside because of the people I don't get to see on a daily basis anymore, but I know I'll eventually adjust to it. Plus I only have to be away for a few weeks before I head home for Christmas break. Actually, don't judge me, but I'm heading home next weekend (the 8th-9th) because my Padre and I put up the Christmas tree together every year and I'm not letting anything stand in the way of that! Plus my birthday is the 6th and I don't want to spend it in MD this year...just not ready for all that!

Another day down... 11 more days until my first trip home and 24 more until Christmas.. is it bad to have a countdown and I haven't even started working yet?

See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment