Thursday, November 29, 2012

Today I subbed...for my own position I guess?

November 29, 2012

When I sent the principal of the elementary school an email to confirm my start date as December 3, she wrote back and told me that she wanted me to start on November 28. So I said, ok and got myself ready. I met with HR this past Tuesday and was told that I couldn't start on the 28th because the gentleman leaving wasn't retiring until the 30th - and obviously they can't pay two people for the same position. Needless to say, I was sort of angry because I could have stayed home for another week. So, we called the principal to make sure she knew this couldn't happen and she had a solution - sign me up to sub for a few days and then start full time on Monday. She told me it was entirely up to me and I seriously contemplated coming home for the next 5 days. Then I spoke up and said "no, I will come in to sub Thursday and Friday." -- big step?? 

Anyway, today was ok. The kids are ok for now but unfortunately there is NO structure in the PE classroom. So when they come in, they don't know what's expected of them. That's going to be the hardest part I think.. trying to change what most of them have known for the past 4 or 5 years is going to be tough. It's extra tough when you start in the middle of the year as opposed to the beginning. Now I have to turn the clock back and go over rules and regs and expectations, then turn the clock forward again to pick up where they left off. Well I guess it's things like this that determine how you can adapt to a situation. 

This morning when I got there, I met with the principal and assistant principal who were very excited to see me. The assistant principal took me on a tour of the building, showed me each wing, and introduced me to some of the teachers. Many of them were very excited to hear about the "new PE teacher." Wanna know something even better? EVERYONE refers to "gym class" as PE class in this school.. I never thought I'd hear it. The gym is huge for an elementary school, I have my own office with a bathroom (and a shower), and it's not in the greatest shape but it's better than nothing. I asked if I could paint, they told me no but said I could put in a request to have a new coat put on (of the same boring color). The equipment room is A MESS. But luckily, the outgoing teacher hasn't used ANY of his budget this year so that gives me an opportunity to order some new stuff for this year and next. Good thing too because some of that equipment is about 100 years old...ok not really but it is kind of gross.

I was told to go in there and "just get through the day" today. That's what I did. And tomorrow I will do the same thing. Then this weekend, I'll prep myself for Monday.

Stay tuned..

No comments:

Post a Comment