December 3, 2012
This morning when I woke up, I felt like I wanted to vomit. You know, first day jitters. I sent a text to my friend who was actually my co-op for student teaching and told her that I felt exactly the way I felt the day I had to teach health for the first time. Totally almost vomited all over her classroom floor that day. The drive down to the school this morning was a little weird because I was kind of out of it (and I was trying not to throw up) but I made it in one piece.
The first class I had was 5th grade - a different 5th grade class from last Thursday and Friday. And I felt that this 5th grade class was way less competitive than the other one. Which is a good thing because I am trying to sway them away from thinking that PE is about competition. I had to explain that to just about all the classes today to get them to remember why we are in PE. Anyway, the first class went really great and a lot of the kids responded to me really well. The second class was 4th grade, and again, were a little better than the 4th graders I had last week. So after the first two classes I had a pretty good idea how the rest of the day was going to go. After that I had, Pre-K (times two) and 3rd, then Kindergarten, then 1st and 2nd. After discussing rules and expectations with each class, and then doing some cooperative activities, I'd say the classes went pretty well today. I'm really going to need to work on the team building stuff with them though. The activity I had them do today required them to hold hands with each other. We all know how kids are with holding hands - cootie central! But most of them did good. There were only a couple of the kids that were really apprehensive about doing it. After that, I decided that this week will be dedicated to setting rules and team building activities. Tomorrow is a different group of kids (well, the ones from last Thursday and Friday) so they kind of already know how I roll. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
OOH!! On my way home today, I came across the most WONDERFUL thing!! I decided to not take the beltway back to my friend's place and had my GPS take me on back roads to avoid some traffic. Going on 495 would have taken me 58 minutes whereas going on the back roads was going to take me an hour and 6 minutes. So I said, what's an extra 8 minutes? Anyway, I'm not sure exactly where I was, but as I was waiting for a car to turn, I looked to the left and saw a forest of Christmas lights!! It was a park somewhere around here and it was just filled with lights everywhere! And there was a big sign that said "FESTIVAL OF LIGHTS"!! I just so happened to be on the phone with my parents and I said "OMG I have to turn here!" So I went in because I just absolutely love Christmas and Christmas lights so I drove in. I made a couple turns, then came to this little parking box, like the box you stop at to get a ticket to park at an amusement park, and saw that I had to pay $5 to go through.. unfortunately, I didn't have $5 on me so I asked them if I could just turn around and would come back another day because I was in love! They said sure and told me they were there until January 1. So I'm definitely going to make it a point to find it again so I can go!! See?? It's a good thing I'm trying to learn a bunch of different ways around because I run into fabulous things like that!!
Well anyway, I think that's the most excitement I had for today. Tomorrow shall be another day for me to reflect on and you to catch up on. Until then..
No comments:
Post a Comment