Saturday, December 1, 2012

First Weekend in Maryland...and the Beginning of December!

December 1, 2012

Ahh, it's finally December which means Christmas (and my birthday - in 5 days) are right around the corner. Christmas is my favorite time of the year and if it were up to me, we would celebrate the joy of Christmas more than once a year! Unfortunately, mainly people lose sight of what Christmas is all about. Linus says it best... I'm sad that I can't decorate my own place for Christmas this year but I did bring my tree to my friends and I think I'm going to put it up tomorrow. I decided that being able to put a tree up somewhere would make me feel better. Tis the Season!!

Anyway, I got quite a bit accomplished today. I started my day by heading to the Mall in Columbia to see if the people at the Apple Store could replace my iPod battery. When I got there I asked the guy if he could tell me how much it would cost before we went ahead with anything. He looked it up and said we could get a replacement battery for $59.99. I told him I would put that $59.99 aside to eventually buy a new one! So that was a bust. But I walked around the mall and I have seen some pretty big malls...but not one quite this big. There were SO MANY stores and the food court was the size of the entire mall in Hermitage!! Of course, there were a billion and one people there today. And even though getting my iPod was a bust, I did buy some hand sanitizers at Bath and Bodyworks that were on sale. 5 for $5! Because of the disgusting-ness I will be in contact with at my new job (with the equipment and such) I will need as much hand sanitizer as possible!

From there, I drove to Wal-Mart down in Hanover, MD (which is the town where the casino is located). I went to get supplies to make my rules and penalties posters for class on Monday. While I was there, I decided to stop in and see if I could get the oil changed in my car. They told me it would be about an hour and a half wait but they could do it. So I had lunch in Wal-Mart and then did my shopping. By the time I was done, my car was ready and I was on my way. I think I have to take a trip back tomorrow to return the markers I used to complete my posters. I paid $4.97 for a 4 pack of markers that were double-sided chisel-tipped... some of them were dried out!! Luckily I found some dry erase markers to use! I put them right back in the package and am taking them back tomorrow. 

After I got back to my friend's place, I crashed on my bed for about a half an hour. Then I got up and started working on the posters. I also sent some 11x17 posters to my brother via email so he could print and laminate them for me. When I come home next weekend, I'll get them so that when I come back I can have multiple posters hanging on the walls in the gym. I'm hoping that what I have planned for Monday and Tuesday go smoothly. I will meet a new set of kids on Monday and then Tuesday I will have the kids I had on Thursday and Friday. By the end of next week, I will send out a letter to the parents letting them know who I am and showing them what I expect of their kids during their time in physical education class and ask that they please be on board with the rules and expectations I have set in place. A friend from home said she has a letter that she made for her first year of teaching and will share it with me so I can have an idea of what to say to them. I hope they like me!

 Here are the two posters I worked on tonight. Aren't they pretty?!

What else?... hmm.. I guess there isn't much more to say. Today was productive and I found my way around the area a little bit more by going to the mall and such. I'm anxious to get a place closer to work though because I have noticed my back has been bothering me from sitting in the car so much to drive to and from work. Soon enough I will have my own place here and hopefully by then, each day will begin to get a little easier.

Tomorrow is another day.. take care until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment