December 4, 2012
Well since I missed a day last night, I will make up for it tonight! Yesterday was pretty busy. I came back to my friend's place from work, had some dinner and then worked on my class lists. I got so caught up in doing that and watching Private Practice that before I knew it, it was time for bed! It was my second full day at school with classes that are actually mine and it was a little challenging. This whole year is going to be challenging. The kids don't have much structure in the gym, AND some of the classes had recess in the gym, which isn't good. Why you ask? If the kids associate the gym with recess that means that every time they enter the gym they will think it's time for recess and won't listen. Kind of like they do now. Most of the classes are pretty good. It's the 4th and 5th graders I worry about. They are stuck in the mentality that they can do whatever they want when they enter the gym. I'll get it, it's gonna take some time but by the end of the year they will know what's going on. And then hopefully...as long as I plan to stick it out.... the only kids I will have to work on next year are Kindergarten.. We shall see.
I didn't leave the school yesterday until almost 5 pm! The assistant principal and I were trying to figure out some of the internet stuff that I need to have access to. We didn't have much luck though so I left. Remember the other night when I told you about the most wonderful sight of Christmas lights I ever saw? Well that was the night I decided to not take the Beltway home and told my GPS to take me on no highways or toll roads.. and that took an hour an 6 minutes to get home. Well last night, I decided to take the Beltway and the traffic wasn't as bad as I had anticipated! But for whatever reason, my GPS always wants to take me an extra 20 minutes out of the way! So I tell my GPS to go to sleep and I go the way I want to go and get back much quicker. Anyway, to end my night I watched Private Practice and then went to bed. On to today!!
December 5, 2012
Let me start off by telling you that going to work is starting to get easier... mainly because....the kids love me.. let's face it, who doesn't?? Right? No seriously, I was walking with another teacher this morning and she told me that everyone is very happy that I am there and the kids are especially happy and "they love you already, they really do." That's a pretty good feeling. When I went out for bus duty this morning, I hear all these teeny tiny voices go "Hi Ms. S! Hi Ms. S!" and then I get a barrage of hugs from all the little tykes. Again, it's a pretty cool feeling to know they have accepted me. Even when I walk in the halls past classrooms, I hear them... "Ms. S! Ms. S!" Maybe I should sign autographs after school one day.... hmm...
Tonight after work I had a meeting. First meeting as a new teacher in the county. It wasn't at my school though, it was a meeting for all first, second and third year teachers to discuss the curriculum. I must say, I am really glad to be teaching in a school where EVERYONE, including the students refer to my class as "PE" or "Phys Ed".. and not GYM (which I hate by the way). But what I'm not going to like is having to write lesson plans every day that I am back in college learning how to write lesson plans. I mean, I know you learn that stuff for a reason, but to actually full out have to do it with such a full schedule?? Oh well, I guess I won't complain because I could still be back in PA looking off other teacher's lesson plans and telling THEIR classes what to do instead of my own. I have got my work cut out for me, that's for sure.
The principal and I spoke today and she would like me to get a list of things to order for the gym and she would like me to get it to her by Christmas so that it will be back to the school in time for when we come back from Christmas break. Not a problem, I say! Then I find out about having to write these massive lesson plans, and I think that puts just a little, tiny cramp in things. I'll make it work though... I mean, I kind of have to, right?
Oh did I mention in a previous post that there is a part time PE teacher that is supposed to be working with me? I think I did... anyway, he finally showed up today... and that's another thing I have to add to the list of "work cut out for me." Don't get me wrong, nice guy... but I think this is a test for him. Another thing that we shall see about. So he will come on Mondays, Wednesdays and every other Friday. This week he was to be here MWF, but he was sick on Monday.. and was here today, and will hopefully be back on Friday. Mondays I take lead of the classes, Wednesday he takes lead of the classes (which will give me time to work on inventory), and then Fridays we will teach together. Should be interesting.
Speaking of planning things for classes, I guess I should get off here and plan something for tomorrow's classes. I will get my school laptop this week and once I get that I will have a chance to work on things during my down time at school. Well, until next time...
No comments:
Post a Comment