Sunday, December 2, 2012

Survival of My First Weekend

December 2, 2012

This is what some really great friends keep telling me.
Well for those of you wanting to know, I did manage to survive my first weekend in a new city.. oh and the Steelers beat the Ravens IN Baltimore. It's one thing to actually beat the Ravens when you're watching the game in PA but I have to tell you that it's a much different feeling of victory when you're in MD and they beat them. Anyway, I know a lot of people down here were upset tonight but too bad for ya. I actually didn't sit down to watch the whole game today. I watched up through the first and half of the second quarter then I had to run to Walmart to return the package of markers I bought last night to work on my posters. Would you believe that some of the markers were DRIED OUT and they were sealed in a package with the caps tightly closed?? What the hell, I say! So I took them back and got my money back. But that's not the only reason I drove 20 minutes to Walmart. I also went to get some more food for my lunches this week. I will get up early to make my lunch.

So tomorrow is the first official day in the big girl world and I must say that I'm nervous, anxious, excited and a little scared all at the same time. But a very good friend told me tonight that I will find it easier as the actual teacher and that I will be shocked at how different it's going to be from just being a sub. So I will take it in small strides and get done what needs to be done. The first two days are going to be pretty simple and to the point. Just meeting with each class and going over the rules and expectations I have of them, and then playing some quick tag games. I only have them for 30 minutes so we'll need to get right down to business when they get there.

I took another adventure today when I went to Walmart. So far, I have visited 3 different Walmarts in 3 different towns. Pretty good if you ask me! The People of Walmart in MD are NOTHING like the People of Walmart in Hermitage. It's actually a complete 360! I hate to say it but once you've seen the People of Walmart in MD, they make the People of Walmart in Hermitage seem fairly normal! Unfortunately, everywhere I go down here I don't always feel like I'm in the USA. It is very, very, VERY diverse down here and I'm not exaggerating one bit when I say that. I think it's great though because then you have a chance to learn things from different people... I just wish they would speak English... oh well, what can you do? I suppose we don't always try to speak their language when we go to their country either.

I'm still trying to get familiar with the area and think I may have even found a quicker way to get to I-70 for when I come home this weekend. I will have to look further into it to make sure. My brother picked up an EZ-Pass for me today at Giant Eagle back at home and is going to activate it and mail it to me. I was going to get it here in MD but the one in PA is good in 14 states and I'm not sure if MD is reciprocal to PA..does that make sense? Anyway, since I knew the one from PA works in MD, I just had my brother pick one up for me. Why didn't I get it before I left last week you ask? Well the reason is because THE RATES WENT DOWN just yesterday and who wouldn't want to wait for lower rates?!

I had all intentions on being in bed by 10 o'clock tonight but then I remembered about my post for this evening. And then as I talked to Maria on the phone for a little while, I couldn't remember if I locked my car when I got back to my friend's place or not. I parked in front of the building on the road and that's where their balcony faces, so I went out to see if I could get it to lock from 10 stories up...yeah, not so much. Yep, you guessed it... I went all the way down and outside just to make sure it was locked! But I didn't waste a trip out of it because I took some of the stuff I need to take with me to school tomorrow down with me and put it in the trunk! Two less things I have to carry down in the morning.

Well friends, now that I am an hour and a half past my bedtime, and I will probably struggle to get out of bed in the morning, I guess this is it for tonight. There is a very cute Siberian Husky that lives a few doors over from where I'm staying.. he was talking to us today on the balcony.. and I just heard him a few moments ago. I do hope, however, that he does not try to talk to us again all night. Between sirens and car alarms going off all night long the past 2 nights, some peace and quiet would be nice for tonight. This is why I am not a city girl...all the noise, noise, noise, NOISE!!

Until next time..

No comments:

Post a Comment