Thursday, March 5, 2009

Stay Fit Using Technology

So, today I read an article about 4 gadgets that are on the market (or will soon be on the market) to help us to get fit and stay fit for life...that is, if we have the ambition to do so. We have all harped on how cool the Nintendo Wii and the Dance Dance Revolution are. But now, companies like Ubisoft and even Weight Watchers and coming up with new and exciting ways for us to track the things that we do. There were 4 things mentioned in this article but I only found 2 of them to be really, really exciting.

The first thing is that a new "game" for Nintendo DS that is out called "My Weight Loss Coach" allows the player to plug a pedometer directly into the gaming system. Once plugged in, the player can upload information about their weight. The information provided by the player will allow them access to daily fitness advice, objectives, and even diet tips and health-related trivia games.

The second thing I found to be interesting is something called FitBit which can actually keep track of your daily exercise AND sleep routines! The information can then be transmitted to a computer so the user can keep track of their progress online. It also gives the user a chance to join the "community" and share progress, information, and goals with family and friends. This "first generation health device" is due out this holiday season and is the first device connected to the Internet in a meaningful way, according to the manufacturer.

The other two things that were part of the article talked about an interactive fitness bike and then a program that Weight Watchers launched so that people can monitor their daily points on their Blackberry or iPhone. I think those two things are pretty cool as well but not as cool as a program that can monitor your sleep routines.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:11 AM

    I don't really find the wii to be a good way to stay fit. I feel like it is a good idea but i think its ridiculous that they are marketing it as an opportunity to stay in shape.

    ReplyDelete